NOMINEE FOR CBCS LOCAL HERO
FIRBY, Kenaston, SK - Born 9 Jan 1947
Barry has lived his entire life in the Kenaston community. For the past 35 years, he has served as an informal community leader, with vision, strong organizational skills and an ability to see the big picture. Barry has a quiet and unassuming manner,. He organizes projects with flair and always has great support for every concept or project. Barry also serves as a great role model for and supporter of our youth.
The following are a number of the successful endeavors in which he exhibited leadership:
- As a member of the Kenaston Lions Club for 30 years, Barry spearheaded fundraising events such as snowmobile races, community sports days, sports celebrity dinners, golf tournaments, and sports lotteries. Barry curled with fellow Kenaston Lions member in Provincial Lions curling, twice skipping the teams to Provincial Championship finals.
- Super Draft, Kenaston Hockey Pool, was a key creation of his in 1984. Barry chaired the world-renowned draft for 16 years, which saw gross revenues in excess of $5 million. Net proceeds for this community fundraiser have benefited local facilities and programs, provincial and national-based charities.
- Barry served as a community sports leader organizing and participating activities including fastball, slo-pitch, recreational hockey, and curling. He chaired community fundraising efforts in the construction of new curling and skating rinks in Kenaston.
- Coaching community based sports clubs has been a passion. Barry has coached and/or managed minor hockey from novice through Junior. A 1992 Midget AA team reached a record of 45-7, winning many Saskatchewan tournaments as well as 3rd and 1st place honors at International Tournaments in Great Fall, Montana and Winnipeg, Manitoba. During the past 10 years Barry has been one of the primary drives behind a successful Kenaston Blizzard Senior hockey program, which has produced three League Championships, and a Provincial Senior Championship.
- During the summers of those years Barry coached boys baseball and/.or girls fastball. Baseball efforts produced a Provincial Midget Championship in 1991. Girls fastball teams have achieved one silver and four gold medals in Softball Saskatchewan Championships.